Time Spent Watching Movies

Time Spent Watching Movies 3 Days 14 Hours 23 Minutes

Monday, October 1, 2012

October Extravaganza

That kind of sums things up.
Welcome to new viewers from Monaco, Cambodia, Qatar and Morocco.  Like previously mentioned, October was made for horror movies.  What’s new is that the light to my laptop screen blew out last night so who knows if I’ll be able to do a post a day.  Oh well, time for a mini history lesson.

Supposedly the first horror movie ever made is called The Execution of Mary Stuart.  Its 18 seconds long, shows Mary the Queen of Scots getting her head chopped off and is mega-creepy.  If you don’t believe me, you can watch it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpNQJV8KblQ .  The cut at 10 seconds shows that it isn’t real but I didn’t need to tell you that right?  The movie was made in 1895 and produced by Thomas Edison.  That’s kind of a cool fact.
Freeeeeeeeeeeedoooooom.  Right?
 
Next we have Le Manoir de Diable (The House of the Devil).  It’s a three minute long French film made in 1896.  I said before that I’m not a big fan of silent movies.  I get that they are great works of art and I can respect them, but it’s hard for me to get through them.  Like the Beatles.  They originated a lot of what music is today but their music doesn’t do anything for me.  Deal with it.  Silent horror movies are the exception.  The creepiness gets multiplied because it the whole thing looks like it was made by the mind of some deranged person.  Facial expressions are over emphasized to show emotions that we can’t pick up from dialogue, the actors make exaggerated body motions to try and make the story clearer and I also think the low, grainy quality of the movies themselves are all off putting.  Let’s take a watch  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPmKaz3Quzo .  I don’t know what is going on in there.  It looks like the devil is summoning some evil people and then haunting some dudes.  What I do know is that although this movie doesn’t do a whole lot during the day, if I walked into an empty house at night and this was playing I would lose my cool.  For sure.  A guy in tights also never helps.
One of these things doesn't belong
 
Lastly we have another movie by Edison studios, Frankenstein.  It was made in 1910.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcLxsOJK9bs  .  Sounds like this one has added old music to the equation.  The opening credits revealed to me that I am an idiot.  I always thought that people said a literal adaptation but instead they were saying liberal.  It starts by saying Frankenstein goes to college.  I thought this was going to be a bad SNL (or any) skit but they mean Dr. Frankenstein, not the monster.  He tries to create the world’s most perfect human but makes a monster instead.  It’s a mistake any one of us would’ve made, you can’t blame him.  The actual creation of the monster looks great but the music is awful.  Instead of adding to the movie, I think it does the exact opposite.  Any chance you have of taking a movie about a guy creating a monster seriously is lost.  The monster basically spends the rest of the time haunting the doctor.  There is one cool shot when the beast walks into a room and we see him come in through a mirror.  There’s some stuff about love beating evil but who cares about that.
That chair doesn't look comfortable.  Oh and there's a monster.
 
So there’s the beginning of the October horror extravaganza.  Like the blog on facebook to get updates.  https://www.facebook.com/CandyAndAMovie

 

Grrrrr

No comments:

Post a Comment