Time Spent Watching Movies

Time Spent Watching Movies 3 Days 14 Hours 23 Minutes

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Non Review Material Post #2


I've done this once before where I took some movie list that I found and break it down a little.  This time, the list is done to look like a subway map which I think is a pretty ingenious idea.  Take a look at a larger version of it here so you can see for yourself: https://cdn.gofobo.com/files/Wc3yh.jpg

Let's do a little breakdown.  Movies on the Universally Acclaimed Masterpiece route intersect with all of the other route's so I'll count them twice because once again, I make the rules.

ROUTE 1 U.A.M: I've seen 20/28.  Not too bad.  The Seven Samurai is on here which means that the list isn't all just American movies like the AFI ones.  The only movie I haven't heard of on this route is Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans so maybe I should get on that.  Also have no complaints with any of the movies

ROUTE 2 ROMANCE: 7/22.  Being a young adult male, romance movies were considered icky for most of my life so I think a free pass should be awarded to me for this genre.  Seeing as how I'm not a romance expert I can't really think of any movies to add either.

ROUTE 3 COMEDY : 9/26  I always have serious problems with movie historians comedy lists.  They all pick the best made movies that have a few where I always want to see movies that make you laugh the most.  Of course the movie can't be garbage too but I would have movies like Dumb and Dumber and a Will Ferrell movie or two, not Life is Beautiful.  One movie that I question being on here is The Hangover.  Sure we all laughed a lot when it came out but have the jokes really held up enough for it to be considered a best ever especially with the list being formed of the best made movies like I've previously stated?  The route also has a couple of dark comedies on there with Fargo and In Bruges.  Really In Bruges made the best comedies of all time list?  I liked the movie it isn't one that should be on this path.  Finally, I hadn't heard of two of these movies that were made in the 20's and I'm sure it's because their humor hasn't held up that well.

ROUTE 4 DRAMA: 11/25  Still in a little bit of a slump.  I haven't seen The Changeling because I didn't hear that it was one of the best ever.  I heard the opposite about The Lives of Others and definitely look forward to watching it soon.  Only hadn't heard of one movie from the 40's on this path.

ROUTE 5 WESTERNS: 9/14  And we're back people.  This route is smaller than a lot of the others because really they stopped making westerns for the most part during the mid 70's.  Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is on here which is funny to me because I never really ever thought of it as a western but I guess it kind of is.  I would have liked to see some Magnificent Seven on the list even though it is a remake of The Seven Samurai which is already on there.

ROUTE 6 WORLD/ADVENTURE: 13/21  For some reason, musicals are thrown in here but only three make the list so it's not that big of a deal.  The Seventh Seal is one of my favorites and it's good to see it get some recognition.  I don't think Into the Wild should be on here and There Will be Blood is more of a drama than an adventure.  Good to see Treasure of the Sierra Madre as well as some newer movies like City of God and Amores Perros on the same list too.

ROUTE 7 MYSTERY/CRIME: 16/32  I got a DVD of 15 Hitchcock movies for $5 a few months ago and once I go through that I'll be a lot closer to finishing this list.  Haven't heard of two movies on this pretty long route.

ROUTE 8 GANGSTER: 12/16 Oh ya 75%!  No foreign movies and only two movies made before before the 70's.  Gangsters we're very big in the first half of the last century and I thought there would have been more Little Caesar type movies on the list.  Also if it the Gangsta route I'm sure Get Rich or Die Tryin would've made it.  Sorry 50 Cent but you don't make this map.

ROUTE 9 THRILLER/HORROR/MONSTER: 14/16  Only movies I  haven't seen here are King Kong and  Frankenstein, both made in the 30's.  Glad The Thing was on there but the Night of the Living Dead should be on there too.

ROUTE 10 ACTION: 13/13  Maybe I'm the new action hero.  A question that I've never been able to answer is do I like Die Hard, Aliens or Terminator 2 better?  So don't ask me.

ROUTE 11 DRAMA ABOUT TOLERANCE: 5/9  There is already a drama list so I don't think this route is all that necessary.  I still need to watch To Kill a Mockingbird.

ROUTE 12 DARK AND WEIRD DRAMA: 5/7  Again this very scientific genre probably isn't needed but some movie guy somewhere wanted to say that he's seen Requiem for a Dream and American History X.  Well I have too.

ROUTE 13 SCI-FI: 13/15  There is a huge difference between Sci-Fi and Sy-Fy in terms of quality.  I've only missed out on Metropolis and The Day The Earth Stood Still.  Star Trek remake could use some swapping out for Solaris (original) or maybe even Brazil.

ROUTE 14 FANTASY: 9/10  I don't know what Harvey is but it's ruining my perfect streak.  This route could be called the Star Wars/Lord of the Rings genre.

ROUTE 15 WAR: 14/25  I haven't seen any of the German war movies like Das Boot and Downfall yet but I plan to.  If I plan on being manly when I grow up, it's time to watch more war movies.

ROUTE 16 ANIMATION: 9/10.  Almost nailed this one.  Grave of the Fireflies is the only movie that I haven't seen but everything I've read about it calls it one of the saddest movies ever animated or not and there just hasn't been a day where getting into a depressed mood has been necessary lately.  Soon enough.  None of the Disney movies before The Lion King made the list which is a surprising.  List needs more Sleeping Beauty.


Summary 179/289 = 62%  Good and Bad.  Bad because 61% is barely getting a D in high school and failing in college meaning I am far from being an expert.  The good comes from me still being young and there are A LOT of really good movies to watch and look forward too.  At least I've heard of 97% of these.

This was a pretty good way to waste a couple of hours.
https://www.facebook.com/CandyAndAMovie

No comments:

Post a Comment