Time Spent Watching Movies

Time Spent Watching Movies 3 Days 14 Hours 23 Minutes

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Movie #42 A Nightmare on Elm Street


A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)


MORE UPDATES
I started a blog and it felt good to be read. One of my real life friends just became and internet friend because he started a blog today. It has short stories and dreams and other cool stuff like that on it. Check it out yo. http://storiesfromrem.blogspot.com/ Here it is and it will forever be in my “blogs that I follow section”. If you have a blog yourself you should let me know because I want to read other ' writings too!

Movie Time.
I'm a gigantic horror movie fan. I don't want to seem like a tough but I've seen so many that it's hard to be scared by them anymore. You could say that I've been desensitized. I still jump at pop out scares but those don't last. It hasn't always been this way though.

All kids see a horror movie too early. Maybe they see It. Possibly Halloween. Sometimes you don't even need to see it, just hearing about the bad guy is enough. That's what happened to me with Freddy Krueger. How is seven year old me supposed to guard my dreams? The best I could come up with at the time was never to think that I wasn't scared because that would seem like a challenge and would bring on the nightmares. Ended up working.

Then I got to be like 10 or 11. Really grown up. Eventually got talked into watching Scream by my cousin. Made it through the first scene and had to quit, I wasn't ready. Still too much of a baby. To make matters worse, my cousin had been the scream guy for Halloween the year before and popped out of a closet with the full costume on scaring me later that night. Somehow I wasn't permanently scarred and became a pretty big fan of the genre.

I went into this movie with low expectations and they were met. Let's breakdown what went on. Things started out creepy enough in the credits. Dark tones and eerie music. Not hard to do though. The movie starts right off and you can tell that the guy is in a dream. First thing I could think of is that these people are too pretty. You can't relate. No one cares if the hot chick in a horror movies dies. 4/5 times she deserves it. Now if some normal looking guy/chick or even an uggo gets a big part then maybe I could get more invested. The guy gets cut in the dream, gets woken up and has an open wound in real life. So in case you don't know what they story is, this bad guy named Freddy Krueger attacks people in their sleep and whatever damage he does there, he does in real life. The hot chick sits down with him at a diner and he tells her that he doesn't want to go to sleep. She says don't worry about it, they’re only dreams. You stupid girl. One minute later the guy has stood up and slit his own throat. Whammy.

Movie moves to the kids funeral and the hot chick is pretty bummed. The girl who turns out to be the main character (girl who also played the chick in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo american style) says she's been seeing Freddy. That night the hottie sees him too. At school one day she falls asleep and in her dream everything looks burnt in the classroom. It's pretty cool. Freddy cuts her hair and she's missing a chunk in the real world when she wakes up. She also screams herself awake in the middle of class which is embarrassing and a whole different kind of horror.

This one guy with an annoying face and Bieber hair keeps coming up to her and telling her to chill out, it's nothing. He is an angry guy and is just a complete tool. Tool of the movie, that might be a new category at the bottom. Hot chick is alone one night and Bieber sneaks over and she tells him to stay because she's scared. This is when I started putting characters together from the first one. She dies in her sleep that night by getting thrashed around but honestly, it's the same death from the original and it looks better in the old one. The original is actually on of the more hardcore death scenes ever. Bieber now has her blood on his shirt because it go everywhere. Instead of taking the shirt off and removing any evidence that he was over, he just runs out in the street to Nancy's (dragon tattoo girl) and gets caught by the cops. Winds up in jail and is seriously wigging out in there.

The last of the main characters is supposed to be the Johnny Depp friend/boyfriend of Nancy but let me tell you, he is no Depp. Looks more Buscemi or someone else not good. But that's what I wanted I guess. He falls asleep in the library and sees the little girl that's always in the Freddy dreams. Yikes. He wakes up unharmed. Bieber falls asleep in jail and is in the boiler room. That's where a lot of Freddy's killings take place. They have a whole scene and it ends with Freddy punching him through the chest. Third dead kid and this was the first one that I kind of wanted him to get it. The only two characters left are Nancy and Depp wannabe (Quentin).

Nancy asks her mom about a guy named Freddy Krueger and she gets all weird. Nancy starts to remember something and takes a bath. The classic scene of Freddy's hand in the tub happens and I'm glad that they added it in. They each have more dreams but stay alive. They finally want some answers about Freddy and get them from her mom. Says he was a gardener at their school when they were little and he ended up diddling all of them so the parents trapped him in an old building and burnt him alive. Then somehow all the kids forgot about everything. The weird thing is everyone who was in the class is now dead except for the two of them and their parents still don't really care all that much. Back to back movies with bad parenting.

END STUFF

Nancy and Quentin come to the realization that Freddy was innocent and head back to the school to prove it. They find this little room where he would bring the kids called “The Cave”. They find pictures of them as kids and see that he really was a diddler. Duh, what do you think else happens in a place called the cave. They come up with a plan to kill Freddy that involves Nancy going to sleep, grabbing Freddy in her dream and bringing him back into the real world. Quentin will then hack him to death. Plan isn't working so great because the second Nancy falls to sleep, so does Quentin. At first I wanted to hate on him but I literally dozed off four times in my business ethics class earlier in the week so I don't want to be a hypocrite. In her dream Freddy gets her tied down to a bed and it looks like a full on rape is about to take place. Quentin wakes up and then wakes her up, actually bringing Freddy back to reality. They burn him and kill his which is the dumbest thing I think they could've done. Did you not see how great burning him last time worked out? Capture and lock him up so he's stuck in a room somewhere. Kids. That is the fake ending because the real one takes place when they get home and Freddy pops out of a mirror, killing Nancy's mom. Boom

STAY AWAKE

Favorite Scene : The flashback to Freddy dying. The acting isn't there but I definitely like the way it looks. Most creepy

Memorable Lines : “You really shouldn't fall asleep in class”
“Just don't fall asleep. If you die in your dreams, you die for real”

Rating : 4.5 Cadbury Dream Bars. This was not a good movie. One thing I realized is that there are soooooo many dreams and you see Freddy a ton and he only does something a few times that all the tension gets taken right out. I really stopped caring if this was going to be the one because it probably wasn't. There must've been at least 15 dreams that ended with scares and wake ups instead of deaths. Also, my favorite death of the original, Johnny Depp's isn't in the movie at all. It's a classic look it up.

Alternate Ending : They bring Freddy back to our reality but he gets away and starts murdering the parents. Seems pretty logical.

What I would do if I was the main character: One of my favorite things to do is snooze. Not being able to would be too much. I have the same answer for this as when the zombie horde comes. Just give in. Being a zombie isn't so bad. Getting some permanent sleep is better than no sleep.

What happens in the sequel: I never saw any of the original sequels. I saw a few episodes of the show but they never involved Freddy weirdly enough. Nancy still is his target but this time she is played by Megan Fox. Quentin dies in the opening scene and all we are left with is Fox vs Freddy. At first everyone is rooting for Fox but by the first hour mark things have changed and we just want Fox to go away. Movie ends with a cliffhanger of her falling asleep and we move to the third one.
 First Guy getting it
 Hot Chick, Bieber and Nancy at funeral
 Hottie getting scared
 Freddy Creeping
 Nancy should get that checked out
 Get a tan Quentin!
Worst rubber ducky ever

I swear I'm still scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment